Logic Pro from A to Z – P is for Presents
Plenty of plug-in promotions have peppered these pages over the past month. This is a great time of year to be purchasing software. We all have a wish list we hope Santa will fill, and this post is directed to the Santas in our lives out there. Partners and significant others, this is for you. Logic Pro Expert readers, forward the link to this post to your wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands, partners, etc. This is for them.
Perhaps you have a vague idea that Logic Pro is software for making and recording music. That’s great, but if you are like my wife, any understanding beyond that is a bit of a blur. You may have heard them prattling on about plug-ins. But what on earth is a plug-in? Let me give you an analogy: Having additional plug-ins to use with Logic Pro is like having multiple pieces of jewellery or shoes to choose from to accompany your favourite dress. You can never have too many accessories, but some are more extravagant than others. And choosing them is a very personal thing.
Pleasing your mate with a suitable Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa gift is challenging under the best of circumstances. Maybe you want to get them something to use in the studio, but don’t know where to start. Plug-ins may not be the best choice, given that there are so many to choose from and you may not know where to even start looking! So here are a few gift ideas that just about any Logic Pro user will be sure to appreciate, and may hesitate at getting on their own.
1. Hard drives. Before you roll your eyes and throw your hands up in the air, let me just say that, no matter what you choose, you can’t get it wrong. Any Logic Pro user is happy to have additional drives of any size and any speed. Amazon has some excellent deals on hard drives of varying sizes. They are generally not high performance, but are great for backing up and archiving data. No matter which size or brand or speed you get, I guarantee you they will have a use for it.
2. USB Flash drives. Logic Pro users love having additional storage of any kind. USB jump drives are useful for so many things. They can be used for temporarily backing up projects in process, transferring projects from one studio to another, or one computer to another, putting temp mixes on to listen to in the car, putting music on to listen to on various devices, etc.
3. Curtains and Art. I can almost guarantee you that your mate pays very little attention to their work surroundings. It is usually a fairly low priority, given all the plug-ins there are to read about, demo, and learn! Why not get them some funky new curtains for their studio? (My wife is into sewing and is currently in the process of making new ones for my studio.) Or what about some new pictures for the studio walls? Or maybe some little “chachkas” to give the place a personal touch?
4. LED Book Lights. We Logic Pro users are always fumbling around in the dark recesses of our equipment racks patching cables to and fro. And there is NEVER enough light. It is dark back there! I love having those battery powered clip on lights. They can clip on anywhere and provide light in those impossible to get to nooks and crannies we inevitably need to reach. Amazon is your friend. I just got a two pack there for myself recently. One for my music stand, and another to have as an easy portable utility light for when and where I need it.
5. Percussion Instruments. One of the best ways of putting a human feel to what we do in Logic Pro is adding an element of live human performance. Here is an easy solution: Why not pick up some inexpensive hand percussion instruments from your local music store? How about some egg shakers. They sound great, are easy to play and record, and sound WAY better than using samples of them. Or maybe a tambourine, or maracas, or more cowbell?
6. Groove3 video tutorials. (Full disclosure – I am an author at Groove3. But I honestly do think they make great gifts.)
I suggest buying the individual video series, not the all-access passes. That way you can “own” them, and watch them whenever and wherever you want without a time limit. There are a variety of titles on using Logic Pro as well as various plug-ins, audio production, music theory, etc.
Hopefully your little Logic Pro user has been a good boy or girl this year; hasn’t downloaded illegally, has been polite on all the forums they participate on, and eaten all their vegetables. Happy holidays to all!